Understanding
The second step is to understand your child.
Children need love and understanding from their parents. They long to be respected and treated like their feelings are important. Genuinely striving to understand your children is crucial to your relationship with them.
My suggestion is to acknowledge their emotions. Teach children that feeling upset is ok and feeling frustrated is normal. By helping them first understand that, you may help them learn how to control their actions and do so in love. If your three year old child is throwing a tantrum because they cannot have ice cream for dinner. Try approaching them like so, "Its not fair that you can't have ice cream for dinner, is it? I understand how that can be frustrating to you. Sometimes I feel the same way. I wish I could eat more chocolate without getting a headache." Now, the child might feel like being more open with you and as they calm down, you may begin teaching them that it is not acceptable to throw a tantrum every time they feel frustrated. You may suggest what they can do instead to help them feel less frustrated.
Dr. John Gottman is a great example of understanding children. Watch this video for more!
Comments
Post a Comment